These butterfly wings were made using Martha Stewart"s tutorial found here. Since it seemed like the original pattern was too big for my 4 year old, I shrunk it by a couple of inches, which also meant that I had to redraw the inside design to fit the smaller wings. Once the pattern pieces were all cut out though, it was a pretty quick sew. I used wool felt and one inch foam.
And here's our cute little bee. The Oliver & S Bubble Dress pattern was pretty much perfect for this costume. I cut up the skirt portion into black and yellow stripes but was too lazy to add seam allowances, so the dress ended up a little short on her. Both the tights and wings were bought at JoAnn's on super clearance. The antenna headbands I made myself out of pipe cleaners and yellow pompoms.
Happy Halloween to all the other little insects out there!