Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Rainbow Dress


I've been building up my stash of knits for a couple of months now, mostly through on-line stores like the Fabric Fairy.  Last weekend, though, I finally made it to Mill End on the West side and found a whole bunch of pretty cute knits.  And they were all 25% off, yay!
a saThis particular rainbow print was only $5.00 a yard plus 25% off.  I found it in the flat folds section and bought a yard and a half of it.  At 60 inches wide, there is plenty left.  A matching dress for B is in the works and who knows, maybe a top for me.  Hmm, would a rainbow shirt be appropriate for someone my age????

Here are the deets: the pattern is the Bloom Dress from the book Sewing ModKid Style by Patty Young.  I left off the flower appliques on the sides and added a tiny pocket and ribbing on the sleeves.  I made a size 4 and as you can see it fits S perfectly. 

Sewing with knits is really addictive.  I have to say that with my serger everything comes together so fast and easy.  And even the top stitching that I had to do on my sewing machine came out looking pretty darn good. 

And on the plus side, S is now claiming that she loves everything I make her.  More knits to come!





10 comments:

  1. Cute! You and B definitely need matching shirts/dresses too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love that rainbow fabric and it looks like S loves it! knit dresses are the best. i was just at mill end eastside today...love that mill end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like the eastside millend much better. the westside one is pretty limited.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! You are so lucky to have access to such cute knits! Have you had much luck with the Fabric Fairy? I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i've found some cute knits at fabric fairy too. i just prefer to shop for knits in person to get a feel for the weight and quality.

      Delete
  4. That is so adorable! I need to get out to Mill End and pick up some cute stuff myself, the last time I was there I was so overwhelmed with all the choices I didn't buy anything. My daughter has been asking for a bloom dress too and we don't have any cute knits around to make one up. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would say the key to mill end is just to limit yourself to specific sections. otherwise it can get overwhelming.

      Delete
  5. What a pretty dress! Love the pocket on the bias. I'd wear a rainbow shirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your daughter a size four in other clothes? I have the Modkid book (and a couple of other patterns) and I read some reviews that they are generous. IS that your experience. By the way, I found your blog from the Modkids Flicker stream, and I love the rainbow dress. The pocket makes it perfect!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! you've made my day!