Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Day of Preschool: O & S Playdate Dress

Today was the first day of preschool for S.  It's a happy-sad occasion for me.  On the one hand, I'm so excited for all the fun and learning she will have this year.  We were careful to pick out the perfect preschool for her, and I know that she will have many fun adventures there.  But on the other hand, it is like saying good-bye to her babyhood.  She is growing up; her world is just a bit bigger and I am a little sad not to be the center of it.

I stayed up way too late last night finishing up this little dress for S's first day of preschool.


The pattern is Oliver & S Playdate Dress in size 4.  This pattern has always been on my periphery of things to make for S, but it wasn't until I saw Gail's version that I did a frantic search on the internet and found a small quilting store that still had one last copy left.  So I quickly snatched it up, even paid full price plus the shipping fee.

And then on a whim, I decided that S needed a first-day of school dress and settled on this pattern.  The fabric is Sherbet Pips and the flat piping detail is DS Quilts polka-dots.  As with all O & S patterns, the directions were very clear and easy to follow.  Sewing the placket onto the dress was a bit difficult, but then i just pinned the heck of of it and that made the sewing a lot smoother.  It's also easier if you hold the placket and the main dress as you are pinning instead of laying it flat.  Then both pieces seem to fit perfectly without too much trouble.



Here is the dress on S.  She seems to fit the size 4 really well. 






Happy First Day of School to my sweet girl and to all the other little boys and girls.

3 comments:

  1. ohhhh trinh, i love it so much in sherbet pips! happy first day of preschool to you and S. - can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so cute! your daughter looks so sweet in it. i know what you mean about the last minute sewing - i tend to do that all too often when inspiration strikes. where did you get the sherbert pips, if you don't mind me asking? if you say cool cottons it seals the deal - i HAVE TO get down there ASAP. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gail, she had a great day! kristin, i ordered the fabric at quilthome.com along with some heather ross prints. they were having a great sale and i couldn't help myself:)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! you've made my day!