Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WIP: Daisy Chain Sampler


I'm taking a little break to work on this Daisy Chain Sampler Embroidery designed by Alicia Paulsen of Rosy Little Things.  I bought this as a kit, but you can buy the PDF pattern here.  It's slow work but deeply satisfying in a different way than sewing.  I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I get the same feeling when I knit and crochet.  I think it has to do with the process, that rhythmic motion of your hands and fingers at work and the tactile experience of the yarn and needle.  For a few years in my twenties, knitting, and later crocheting, was something that I turned to for it's therapeutic powers.  Quiet, peace,  tranquility and balance: these were things that I found.  It is deeply absorbing and is taking me away momentarily from my sewing.

I love each and every letter that I've finished so far, although of course the stitches are far from perfect.  I am learning as I'm going you see.  The instructions are written  and illustrated so clearly that even a novice can pick it up pretty easily.  I did, however, have to google french knots and found a video tutorial for those tricky stitches.

In sewing news, I have two peekaboo bonnets cut out.  I will get to them before this weekend when we will finally have some sun.

1 comment:

  1. Yours looks great! I agree about it being really satisfying work, especially once you find a good rhythm. Super excited to see your peek-a-boo bonnets - can't think of anything cuter than B in one of those!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! you've made my day!